I’ve found this checklist in the book The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz and thought it’s a gem I should share:
The “How am I thinking?” Checklist:
- When I worry:
- Would an important person worry about this? Would the most successful person I know be disturbed about this?
- An idea:
- What would an important person do if he had this idea?
- My appearance:
- Do I look like someone who has maximum self-respect?
- My language:
- Am I using the language of successful people?
- What I read:
- Would an important person read this?
- Is this something successful people would discuss?
- When I lose my temper:
- Would an important person get mad at what I’m mad at?
- My jokes:
- Is this the kind of joke an important person would tell?
- My job:
- How does an important person describe his job to others?
Cement in your mind the question “Is this the way an important person does it?”
- Look important.
- Think your work is important.
- Give yourself a pep talk several times daily. Build a “sell-yourself-to-yourself” commercial.
- In all of life’s situations, ask yourself, “Is this the way an important person thinks?”